It all changed the way the websites looked and felt with the new technologies which came to the forefront.
It all boils down to those words no matter how innovative you get.
Presenting content in the most intuitive and feasible manner is the fact of the matter when it comes to the designs. If your design does not offer proper information to help your customer to reach certain points then it is of no use as you can put in as much creativity as you want.
It is all timeless when it comes to certain design patterns. These UI patterns also emphasize on ensuring the information that reaches the users seamlessly with the ultimate user experience.
Among the social media websites as it helps in displaying the details for each item without cluttering the whole web page as this type of design pattern is a lot more popular. To trim the content and display it in a digestible manner additionally.
The cards act as a container for the clickable information on it as the user would be able to click on that particular card in such layouts. It gels in well with the responsive design and is self-sufficient to fit any type of screen size is what the best part of these design patterns is. Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus are the most popular examples of such UI patterns.
Tips for using a card layout
- Rather than just a small portion or link you need to ensure that the whole card is clickable.
- Keep different screen sizes in mind while selecting images.
- When they are not too complex all you need to do is to try and keep it simple as the cards work the best and they are best with basic typography and with minimal description.
There is another design pattern called the Grids which is popular among content heavy websites like Cards. The information which is shared using Grids highlights is the most crucial details identically unlike the Cards.
Offering better options for styling, this makes browsing seamless. This pattern is used by web sites like YouTube and Etsy which is a straight-laced feeling.
Tips for using Grids Layout
- Always keep white spaces in mind as that would ensure that each item looks presentable while using grids.
- Keep the size of the grid identical and keep the layout consistent.
- Using a 12-column grid layout for simplicity is the standard practice.
Across the online news portal, this design pattern has been used prominently across blog based websites. For those websites that have regularly updated content across several verticals, it is useful. This breaks the monotony of the website while showing a variety of content as it makes the website intuitive.
Tips for using Magazine Layout
- As images are the core of this layout, the emphasis is given to it.
- Follow the same design across them as you sublet your content.
- Having a horizontal and vertical menu.
Last year, minimalism came out as a buzzword in the web design arena. Most of the websites also ushered in the same strategy while presenting information on their website as Apple and Google took the approach towards flat design.
By stripping away all the unnecessary illustrations, the container-free pattern takes the approach to a whole new level. Most of the web design has been based on linear and structured layouts up until now. By thinking out of the box we are gradually drifting away from it.
On the content as well as in a visual hierarchy, designing a website without containers puts all the focus on them. To highlight their product lineups, Apple and Google used this pattern.
Tips for using Container-free layout
- Focusing on the typography and using it accordingly to divide them into multiple sections
- To make it easy to differentiate between the sections, make use of the contrasting colors
- Keeping the content short and precise ensuring that your images are catchy to your visitors
Single-page Web Apps
It has brought web applications to the center stage as website designing has evolved through days. Users nowadays prefer a single page site better known as web apps rather than having a multipage navigation system.
While combining multiple actions on a single page these designs use AJAX to load content asynchronously. Such a pattern is also popular among the websites where the home page serves for different sections of the website other than web applications. Some of the websites which incorporate them are Gmail, Spotify, and Tumblr.
Tips for using Single page Web Apps layout
- In order to ensure support for the back button, generate unique URLs for each viewpoint.
- For single page web apps sticky navigation is a must.
- To make the user experience less jittery, applying smoother scrolling techniques.
Websites especially text-heavy ones have used F pattern design for a larger part of the last decade. Putting a lot of text on the website results in a positive response from the users as they respond better if the website has an F pattern design is what the studies show.
You can create a pathway for the user’s eyes to go where they tend to go normally by using this pattern. To highlight the content they want to emphasize upon and in turn impacting conversions to a great extent this gives room to the designers.
Tips for using F Pattern layout
- Keeping all the CTAs on either on the left or on the right side of the page ensuring that the users start to read with a CTA.
- Use catchy phrase to start each section.
- For relevant but lesser important stuff as it falls outside the scanning area, use right side column.
Our brains also respond well to the Z pattern other than the F one. When it comes to incorporating CTAs into the website this design pattern is a lot more effective. As this design pattern is better suited for websites with singular goals involving less content most of the business websites nowadays use this pattern.
Enticing your users into taking an action then Z pattern is the best choice when you are directing them into your website.
Tips for using Z pattern layout
- As the users tend to pause before moving to next line giving you time to entice them to place the CTAs at the right side or along the end of the line.
- Use the upper right corner for the most crucial CTAs.
- This will help users to get accustomed to the pattern and repeat the pattern multiple times on a single page.
This has made it imperative for the designers to think out of the box as there are more than a billion active websites. Designers have started to use asymmetric design patterns in order to ensure that specific content stands out on the website.
To appear less plain and more energetic this design pattern allows this to a website. It can often lead to confusion and can distract the user as one has to be very careful in implementing the style as misplaced asymmetry.
Tips for using Asymmetry Layout
- To break the symmetry ensuring that those sections pop out using distinct colors.
- Always keep it left aligned as text alignment is crucial in this layout.
- Try using different shapes.
We have come across several intuitive website designs which have stretched our imagination over the years. Some patterns are timeless and have the capability to stand the test of time as they are a lot more innovative. It has been for a long time that the above-mentioned designs have been in practice and they will continue to be in the long run.